It’s Friday! It’s Random! Let’s go!
1. For as many vegetables and fruits as I eat most of the time, I still maintain that potato chips could be their own food group. What naughty food could you make a meal out of?
2. On Facebook, there are photo-sharing trends people enjoy like “Throwback Thursday” and “Flashback Friday.” The newest one is “Wet-nosed Wednesday.” I shared this picture of Frankie recently, it’s from last year, taken about this time. I love how he’s sleeping but not really. And yes, we still miss the old boy. It’s not as painful to speak of him now, but when we do, every one of us share watery-eyed smiles at the memories of the world’s greatest dog.
3. Hubbs raced out to meet some of our friends to watch College Basketball last night. Of course he asked if I wanted to go but I declined, citing work. And I did work for a while, but when I got home, I opened the kitchen window, poured a glass of lemonade and surfed the TV for a bit. In the quiet I found this beautiful and haunting documentary about elephants. And I never want to support a circus again. You’ll find this 40 minute program on HBO – and while some scenes are hard to watch – just as many that are soul-stirring. Amazing.
4. I don’t know if it’s the approach of Spring or just a need to purge but I’ve been on a cleaning kick of late. When I was a girl and Mom announced it was time for “Spring Cleaning” I’d always prefer to be outside with the baby calves vs. inside washing walls and taking down curtains. I’m glad I had to do all that because I know how to but … more importantly .. I understand the difference it makes in your home. Some things aren’t as dirty as much as they are cluttered. I start there …
5. Speaking of cleaning, my favorite cleaning smell is still Lemon Pledge. Why? Because it takes me back to my childhood church – one sniff transports me to the hymnals, coffee percolating in the basement kitchen and the combined fragrance of Pledge and Pine Sol – a scent that said this place is clean, this place is Holy; something so deeply ingrained that just a whiff today can take me immediately there.
I remember friendships and baby showers, funeral lunches and old-lady hugs. Christmas concerts and Easter Sundays, weddings and baptisms. But mostly I remember the warmth of the congregation and the soft presence of dear ones who left us years ago.
Happy Friday, friends! What’s on your Random Five today?