What ticked the survey responders off?
- TMI — sharing too.much.information and TOO often
- Liking too many posts. If you like EVERYTHING do you really like Anything?
- Promoting causes or sharing political views
- Sappy updates about their perfect lives
- for more details from the survey, click here
I use Facebook to connect with family & friends and I enjoy reading what others write about their lives as well as viewing photos of vacations, holidays and grand-kids. But, I do agree somewhat with the women surveyed and there were 2 additional update types that I find irritating:
1. Open ended attention-getting posts i.e.
- “I don’t know how I’m going to do it; so much on my mind.”
- “Too much to process; I am so confused.”
- “My life just really really sucks right now.”
As desired, these types of comments always result in multiple responses including “What’s wrong?”, “Are you OK?”, “We need a girls night out!!” etc. There’s never an update explaining the cryptic situation that prompted the first post. Really? Ugh!
2. STATUS UPDATES TYPED IN ALL CAPS I.E.
- BOY IT SURE IS NICE OUTSIDE TODAY I HOPE I CAN GET IT TOGETHER IN TIME TO GET OUT INTO THE SUNSHINE AND ENJOY THE DAY. BUT FIRST I HAVE TO GET OVER THE EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA THAT I’VE HAD SINCE THURSDAY’S SHRIMP TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for yelling at us AND for sharing too much information. Not!
Re Facebook and this blog: I try to remember the #1 lesson I learned in Media Training 25+ years ago: Never post anything you wouldn’t want your Grandmother to read.
Simple. Effective. To-the-point.
Do you use Facebook? If so, do you agree with the survey?