So .. there’s this salsa I make and it is so delicious, so stinkin’ good that my mouth waters just writing about it.
It’s that good. I promise.
Perfect for end of summer tomato abundance. But .. do-able in winter, too. Bonus!
It’s time for my Hey Now! Salsa
Why the name? Because it’s got just the right combo of sass and frass and tangy good-ness that’ll make your mouth pucker up and sing: HEY NOW!
Wanna make some? Here’s what I do… First, I strongly suggest you put on some Barry White, Al Green or whomever gets your groove on. Shake your tail feathers and just have fun with it.
MJ’s Hey Now! Salsa (the Salsa .. with a ‘tude)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can corn, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups of pico de gallo from your local grocery store deli OR make your own by chopping up ~ 8 Roma tomatoes, 1 red onion and adding the juice of 1 lime + salt & pepper.
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed. *
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I like to use orange or yellow for the color contrast)
- ½ of 1 red onion, chopped ( if you made your own Pico you can skip this step)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (I use a lot ’cause I like the stuff … your call)
- Seasoning – a few shakes of garlic & onion powders, a bit of Mrs. Dash regular and some salt & pepper – how much? A few shakes of each.
- Juice from 3 to 4 fresh limes (depends on how lime-y you like it) and
- 3/4 of a bottle of Italian Dressing
Toss all ingredients, liberally pour in the Italian dressing & squeeze in the lime juice, stirring well. Try to keep all ingredients covered in the “juice” as this is what keeps this fresh.
*If you desire a sweeter salsa, substitute chopped mango for the avocado. Mucho delicious!
**You can add hot peppers (seeded jalapeno or serrano peppers) if you wish but I don’t – this is crunchy and tangy and everyone can enjoy it.
Serve with tortilla chips. Be sure you sample some now and shake, shake, shake .. shake your booty…. Sorry, got carried away by KC & the Sunshine Band. hee hee.
This salsa is OUT-STANDING over a fresh green salad with grilled chicken … mmmm. My personal favorite!
I think my Hey Now! Salsa could last about 4 days in the fridge but, honestly, I’ve never had it last more than … 2.
Go ahead … make some. Show it off this weekend or find a closet and hoard it to yourself. Either way … I hope you enjoy it as much as
we I do.