Random Five Friday – Five random stream-of-consciousness thoughts. Go!
1. It’s Friday! Supposed to hit mid 60’s F today. How can I not smile at the 2 of those statements?
2. Golf. Hubbs runs his alumni golf league; earlier this week, oldest boy asked “Does Dad enjoy doing that, Mom?” My response, “Not always… but he’s the one they all come to so he figured he might as well herd the cats.” True story. The first 2014 tee time is set for tomorrow morning and you’d think today was Christmas Eve. Funny man.
3. Adventure. Had another road trip yesterday, and an opportunity to meet with elected officials, community leaders and local folks. I may have said this before but I love this part of my job. Why? A. Well, I get out of the office & away from my desk & phone. B. I usually end up somewhere I’ve never visited before and C. I never know what I’ll get or who I’ll encounter. Every time I go, I come back feeling like I’ve touched humanity all over again.
4. Local. Going to new places means you’re free to drive right past chain restaurants and look for places like “The Pink Elephant” Diner along Michigan’s West Coast. Here they serve breakfast all day, turkey dinner for lunch and pie. Lots and lots of pie. Local Mom & Pop shops make me feel at home, even if I’m not.
5. Pie. It’s only 27 days till I’m home on the farm with Mom :). This time, I’m asking for her “Flapper Pie” recipe. I know I can get it online (see link) but but I want her recipe. Creamy, cool and delicious, it’s a delightful, happy pie from my prairie childhood and one to add to my repertoire. Have you ever heard of it?
Happy Friday, peeps!