It’s Friday. It’s Random. Let’s go!
1. I’m off work today for the 4th time this month. One word? Ahh. That extra day smushed up to the weekend has allowed me time to breathe, relax and lean in. One extra day and I’m rested and smiling more. Lesson learned? Listening to yourself is as important as listening to everyone else. Maybe more.
2. Back in March, a conversation with a customer began by her shouting at me. Since then, I’ve worked with multiple teams to fulfill her request (to get my company’s services at her new home) and we spoke often as I kept her updated on the construction progress. This week she got the news she’d waited to hear – a day later I received a “thank you” card in the mail. From her. The shouter. Lesson reinforced? Treat others the way you want to be treated and things usually work out in the end.
3. Four years ago I was in another job and working hard on a corporate project. The project lead joined us for dinner one night and I took the opportunity to get to know her better. She is a woman my (male) boss had dismissed and labeled as cold. I found the opposite to be true. Three years ago she became the Department head; two years ago I made it to the fourth of four interviews for the position I hold today. My interviewer? That gal. Tough, smart and thorough, she didn’t loft any softballs, but I still nailed it. Lesson there? Competence is great but when you invite people in that’s where the bridges are built.
4. Hubbs is off today, too. Like me, he’s putzing around, not paying attention to his smart phone, sipping coffee and enjoying a lack of schedule. He has a few errands to do, as do I, but later, we’ll step out for dinner. We’ll laugh, we’ll listen, and we’ll enjoy our time together. Lesson: Make time for romance and romance will make time for you.
5. Five years ago today our own Royal princess was born! She’ll be with her Daddy and brother tonight and tomorrow a bunch of us will gather for cake and presents and bowling. She’s an impish, lovable and smart little one and we’re so glad she’s ours. Lesson: Don’t blink.
What’s your Friday have in store?