It’s Friday! It’s Random! Let’s go.
1. Got a flu shot yesterday. It hurt. It still does. The end.
2. A co-worker recently moved back from a stint out East. Great guy, experienced, kind, and funny as what. He’s a big guy, about 6’4″ with an equally big voice. His office is next to mine and he has a tendency to land in my doorway, all Kramer-like, and startle me .. at least once a day. But I love it. We laugh, we talk and we share stories about our lives, our families and our frustrations. It goes kinda like this:
3. Remember last week when I bought the Honey crisp apples? Well .. sorry to say but these were picked on the green side. Now this is a deliciously sweet and crispy apple. But these … weren’t sweet at all. So I had no choice, really. It was destiny that they find their way into an Apple crisp. My office-mates sure were happy yesterday :).
4. I took today off. It’s going to be 76F and sunny, and we all know what’s coming. Sometimes, in the face of deadlines, conference calls and project updates, you just have to go for it.
5. Arriving home last night, I heard a dog barking. Not a bark I know. You see, when you live in a place for a while you get to know the barks of the neighborhood There’s the yippity-yappity dog 2 doors down who we’ve have come to ignore because she’s the kind of dog who barks …to bark. Then there’s the big hearty husky with a mournful howl who always makes me a bit sad when I hear him.
But this was different.
I looked outside and saw him…. right across the street. The neighbor’s dog .. the one who is never out on his own. Never. Not in the 10 years they’ve had him. And there he was .. pacing, barking, kind-of wagging and then – wait – and there he was out in the road looking hopefully to each passing car …
“Oh no,” I thought, grabbing Frankie’s leash.
We don’t know these people well .. he’s a bit .. off. The kids go from this house to their Mom’s house and back again. But I remembered the last name from mailbox mix ups and Googled a phone number for the grandparents who live nearby.
He barked hard at me … and when I set some water down, he promptly followed me back to my doorstep where he sat as I dialed.
“It’s o.k.” I said. “You’ll be all right,” I said.
Thankfully the Grandma answered. (That’s the thing about older people, they still have land lines and they still answer the phone!) Quickly the daughters were dispatched from where-ever they’d been back to the old guy leaning against me. His tail wagged and tears fell, including my own.
And once again I found myself thinking that life has a way of putting us right where we were meant to be.
And how was your week? Any “Kramers” in your world? Do you get a flu shot? Have you made any furry friends lately?