It’s Friday! It’s Random! Here are my 5 random thoughts on this Friday!
1. We’ve had day after day of bright sun + orange-leaves-so-bright-you-could-drink-from-them colors. Everywhere I look is a photo opportunity and a reminder that I’m so glad to live in a world where there are Octobers.
2. Oldest boy was faced with a dilemma recently: ex-wife landed a new job which entailed two weeks of training in Chicago. He normally has the wee ones 2 week nights + 3 nights every other weekend. She called him in a panic referencing this, that and the next person who could share their care with him. His response couldn’t have made us prouder, “They’ll stay with me. It’ll be fun. They can have 2 full weeks in one place and we’ll make it work.” Well, it is a big deal for a single working Dad who has a physical job with varying hours. But as we saw how delighted they were for all that time – doing homework, picking pumpkins, helping him in the yard, playing with their neighbor friends and leaning into a routine, we knew that even though he’s not yet mastered the pony tail, he has all the important stuff figured out.
3. When I heard the news out of Ottawa … my heart sank. Giving thanks for bravery and selflessness and for a young life so tragically lost.
4. Next week I’m attending a conference with my team. A couple of days ago I was asked to address the 400+ attending. I accepted and soon felt a wave of “oh geez what have I gotten myself into.” Thinking back to 4-H public speaking classes and similar but smaller opportunities over the years, my own sayings came to mind: “Go with what you know.” The PowerPoint is ready and my comments prepared ~ and when the time comes for me to stand and deliver – I’ll lean into it, smile and check that off my list!
5. I heard this song the other day and was reminded how great this band was – great melodies, catchy lyrics and beautiful harmonies. I think I’ll play it on the way to the conference – as a reminder that I can do magic, too. 🙂
You can do magic
You can have anything that you desire
Magic, and you know
You’re the one who can put out the fire
And how was your week?