Sometimes I’ll re-read some of my earlier posts just to see where I might have changed or evolved. This post, from January 2011, rings loud & clear for me still today.
25 Randoms about Emjayandthem:
- Old people make me smile. I love it when an old fella stops me in the grocery store to tell me a joke .. I know that this moment was his one moment of the day to tell someone his little story. His wife is sick of hearing the same joke over and over so he maybe he makes up a reason to go to the store and find someone else to tell his story to … people just want to be heard, and I love it when they choose me.
- Our boys make my heart sing; seeing them fill the doorway, leaving me voice messages that say “love ya mom” and being warmly embraced by either one of them (who both tower over me by about 20 feet) make my heart melt. Every time.
- I’m patriotic. “The Star Spangled Banner” and “America the Beautiful” make me cry. Every time. “O Canada” (except for the French parts which I’ve forgotten) does as well. I came to the U.S. with $178 and a guitar and I’m so grateful for what I’ve been able to learn, who I’ve met, and the life we’ve created. Being a dual citizen, how cool is that?
- Black licorice is still my favorite candy.
- The hubbs makes me laugh. There’s something sexy about a man who can laugh with you and at you. He’s also a very good listener. We don’t always agree, and sometimes he can be a bonehead (so can I) but he’s perfect for me. He’s the kind of man your mother would wish on you … and mine did.
- I like the wind and the feel of it on my face: it reminds me of my childhood home on the prairies. I could never live in the woods as I get claustrophobic if I can’t see the horizon. You?
- I love to cook. I can’t cook anything fancy; I cook like my Grandmother – good, hearty, soul-filling food and lots of it. When I cook, I pay tribute to my mom, my Aunt Irene and my Grandma F.– the 3 greatest cooks I know.
- I am not a camper. I like being at a campsite, sitting by the fire and looking at the stars … but I’ll sleep in the RV, not a tent, thanks!
- The Library is one of my favorite places to be. I love the quiet, the smells of the books and all the nooks and crannies in which to tuck away and read. My mom got me a library card when I was 5 and I’ve had one ever since! Not sure I’ll ever have an e-Reader.
- If I’m upset, I get quiet. If I’m bored, I get quiet and… I get bored easily.
- I don’t believe being related gives you the right to be hurtful. My parents always told us “don’t save your best manners for strangers.” There’s nothing admirable about being brutally honest if all someone remembers about you is …..that you were brutal. However, if you’re acting like a fool, and I’m invested in you, I will find a way to tell you. If I don’t care, I won’t say a word.. I’ll just sit back and watch the show.
- I feel great satisfaction when the laundry is clean, folded and put away. That has happened less than 5 times in my life.
- I love music. Playing it, listening to it, recording it, researching it, sharing it. An old friend reminded me of a “mixed tape” I made him in the 80s, and how he still has it, and it made me grin because now I use CDs … same difference. Maybe I was a DJ in another life.
- I’ve learned that, as a family, you should eat supper together every chance you can; kids tell you an astounding amount when they’re eating. (Hubbs calls it dinner, I call it supper….. oh well!)
- I really enjoy conversations, especially juicy ones with new people. Or new topics with old friends. But stupid ones? see #10.
- I struggle with the lack of sun during our Michigan winters. Living near Lake Michigan, we get a lot of cloud cover. I don’t mind the cold .. but I miss the sun. Ever notice, in late-January, when it’s cold and windy and rotten outside, but if the sun pops out everyone suddenly have a little bounce in their step? That’s me.
- Most of what I learned in college has very little to do with what I do in my job.
- I absolutely cringe when we’re out with friends and verbal spouse bashery begins. Even in a “teasing” fashion I get embarrassed .. please stop.
- My eyes used to be blue, but are now green. How does that happen?
- The last really compelling book I read was “Gone Girl.” I have to pace myself with reading because I’ll get so involved in it that nothing else gets done. Nothing.
- I love going to the airport!! To watch reunions and to fly home to see my Mom. Somehow I end up next the person … who needs to tell their story; I’ve heard some doozies along the way.
- Breakfast is my favorite meal and even better if someone else is cooking it. 3 of my favorite scents occur at breakfast: coffee, toast and bacon.
- The best day is when we have a house full of family, something yummy on the grill, drinks, music playing, and laughs together. If there were a candle for that this would be called “home.” 🙂
- I didn’t know until they arrived that grandchildren could bring as much joy as they do .. but they do in spades. I adore my boys but grandchildren have made me slow down, choose my words more carefully and appreciate … everything. One word: delicious!
- My favorite quote of all time is this one: “To thine own self be true.” Know who you are and own it. And if you don’t know who you are and what you stand for, it’s time to find out.
How about you? What are some of your “randoms?”