It’s Friday! Time for 5 random thoughts from the mystical, magical mind of MJ. Or something like that…
1. It’s Friday, Friday, Friday!!! Just finished a LONG couple of days in meetings with our new corporate Exec. The sessions were intense with questions, charts, maps, background info, and a data dump. Holy cow, even I am sick of those charts and numbers BUT I am also energized because both my team and I knocked it out of the park. Nothing feels as good as 1) knowing what you know 2) knowing what you don’t and 3) being able to let someone else lead, too. Never met the man before but he’s sharp, shrewd, ethical and fair. That’s the kind of Leader I can get behind!
2. The morning of the first day’s meetings I was getting the last of my things packed and decided to groom my eyebrows. You know, ’cause that’s what you should do when you’re nervous: wield something sharp. Now, as I’ve gotten older, eyebrows have started growing weirdly and nobody wants some Andy Rooney’s looking back at them in a meeting. Well you can just imagine what happened: yes, I lopped off the corner of one. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good, either. I did the only thing I could think of: set it down and laughed out loud. Thank goodness for eyebrow pencils and make up tricks learned in the drama club. Hubbs about died laughing at that story last night and I do telling it. 🙂
3. Right after that moment I read this quote and felt myself relax. I gave that girl a few pats on the back for all of her hard work to-date, told her to rock n’ roll and then off I went.
4. At dinner the first night, our new leader asked each of us about ourselves so he could get to know us better: favorite movie, music, our background, how did we get to the company we work for, do we have a family, etc. Everyone took their turns and the information shared was both revealing and interesting, making for great conversation, laughs and side conversations. I watched him artfully do this and thought, “nice work.” In all the years I’ve worked at this company no one in leadership – not one – had ever done this. Around the table we went – and when we all finished I realized no one had asked him. So I did. And as his eyes met mine and he began to talk about his career, family and interests I took my very first lesson. Nice.
5. My regularl readers know I’m more of a reader than a movie watcher but when asked to share a movie I turned to the table and said, “Shrek because who doesn’t love Donkey?” The table roared, he got a glimpse into my personality, and it was all good.
How about you? How was your week? Ever had a grooming mishap? If asked these questions, what would you share? What Shrek character is your favorite?
Happy Friday, peeps!