It’s Friday! It’s time for 5 Random things from my corner of the world!
1. Over the past year I’ve had more “Random 5” posts than any others. Thanks for hanging with me. On a totally random note, this made me laugh and adopt it:
2. Yesterday I conducted employee reviews. In HR training a while back, we were asked how to prepare for such activities. My response? “I think about what I don’t want: I don’t want a drive-by, I don’t want generalities, and I don’t want my review to be all about him and nothing about me.” BAM – there it is.
And so yesterday, my team and I, had hearty, healthy discussions, wherein I expressed my appreciation at their career growth, devotion to their roles, and multitude of accomplishments. Yes I had examples to point to, and, in every case, their reviews were several pages long. I figure it’s my job to tell the story ~ they may not always report to me so it’s good to create a stand-alone document that highlights their talents and efforts. And then we talked “turkey,” as in money. Because, as my Mom would said, “this isn’t charity work.” 🙂
3. Reading this last night, I couldn’t help but feel encouraged:
4. Monday is oldest boy’s 29th birthday. Tomorrow we’ll all gather as a family – me, youngest boy, Hubbs, oldest boy + his girlfriend and the wee ones. We’ll meet at a favorite Mexican restaurant, have a million conversations going, enjoy chips & salsa, laughs and camaraderie. I’ve got a gift for him and something special for the grands because that’s what I do. And the girlfriend? Well we’ve met her, she’s sweet, cute and smart. What do I like most? How she looks at him, my first true love.
5. And, on a final note, this clip from my homeland ~ I grew up a pony-riding farm girl on the plains of Saskatchewan, drinking Vi-Co, wearing a bunny hug and racing on the grids. Watch this fun clip of some “down-easters” trying to decipher my province’s slang. I got every reference but it’s helpful there’s a transcriber for you. And now, I’m jonesing for a fried gelacki!
Happy Friday! What lesson did your worst boss teach you? What can you do with confidence because of life’s experiences? Does your heart tug, too, when you meet a child’s new someone special? Any locational vernacular you’d like to share?