It’s not Friday but it is time for 5 random thoughts from the ever-swirling mind of yours truly. Ready? Set? Go!
1. I make my bed as soon as I get up. Every day. Not 10 minutes later, not an hour, right away. Unless Hubbs is in it. Hard to make a bed up over someone 6′ tall.
2. A Facebook friend told me joyfully that it’s only “6 months till Christmas!” And that’s how people get themselves de-friended or – worse yet – punched!
3. Bought several quarts of Strawberries at the Farmer’s market earlier this week. Not sure if it’s all the rain we got but these are some of the best I’ve ever had!! I’ll eat till I can’t and freeze the rest. The fragrance? One word: Heavenly. My favorite birthday dessert was Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake: tiny sweet berries picked fresh from the garden, hearty REAL rich whipped cream piled on top of a thick slice of Angel Food cake. I have a mandate that you MUST drizzle some of the berry juice onto the cake and let it soak in and turn the cake pink. The taste of summer – next to a burger off the grill or farm fresh corn on the cob, that’s about as good as it gets!
4. Last weekend was my niece’s shower and my sisters and I giggled remembering how, in our day, a Bridal Shower was a social gathering and big time Ladies outing. There was never an assumption that all of us could attend. Oh no. It was an afternoon or evening out for Mom, in her best dress, her hair curled up and her Avon lipstick on. She’d always let one – not all three – of us girls go with her. We all remember my middle sister pleading with Mom to let her go instead of another and assuring her she’d not get wet. She probably did get to go after all, but what I remember most were Bridal showers in Church basements, tea in teapots, dainty squares on doilies and the privileged feeling of being included.
5. We have often heard someone described as pretty. I love this definition even more:
And how is your week going? How were Bridal and Baby showers different when you were growing up? What summer time fruit are you enjoying these days? What are you pretty at?