Good morning, peeps! It’s Friday! (smile) What a week – here are a few random thoughts from mine.
1. I’ve had more meetings, trips and calls the past two weeks than any in recent memory. It’s like drinking from a fire hose, and I don’t see it slowing anytime soon.
2. On a couple of occasions recently I’ve been in new-to-me situations: in front of significant, large and somewhat scary audiences waiting to
pick me apart hear what I have to say. Here’s the thing: I’m getting it. I’m hitting my stride and, as I do, I hear my Mom’s words in my head, “Growth never comes without growing pains.”
3. Speaking of Mom, her health is a little more stable but she’s not going home. She’s been moved to respite care which is kind of like a holding area until a bed opens up in long-term care. My sisters say she’s adjusting but it’s difficult for her because she’s very bright and many there have dementia. There are no personal phones there, and we’ve only been able to talk twice in a month. I miss her.
4. Sunday I took the Grands to a movie and an afternoon of fun at the arcades. We saw the movie “Inside Out,” which was great, but was about a little girl moving and all the emotions that come with it … Well their Mom just moved away from them a few weeks ago and the subject matter might have been too much – but here’s the thing: it allowed them to talk about it. In the dark littlest one whispered that she’d never see her Mom again and, pushing aside the popcorn and the candies, I hugged and kissed and reassured her that yes she would and no matter where her Mom was, she would always be hers. Big brother leaned in and the two of them ended up pasted to/on me as the tears streamed down my face. As hard as it’s been being away from my own Mom while she’s been sick, this, this, is even harder. Why? This is unnecessary. How do you explain to a 6 and 10-year-old that some adults are selfish and aren’t likely to ever put them first? You can’t. You remind them of who is here for them and tell them again how much they’re loved and say what they most need to hear: that her leaving is not their fault.
“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” ~Deuteronomy 31:6
5. That’s been my week – up, down, all around. Tiring, taxing, emotional, challenging. But I’m still here. On a side note, I found this mixed in with the candles at the local housewares store — chance? Methinks not.
And how was your week? Any up, downs and all-arounds in your world these days?