It’s a steamy summer Sunday and here are 5 random thoughts from my world:
1) A few months ago I attended a workshop and the homework assignment was to ponder the answers to 3 questions: 1) what’s the greatest risk you ever took and how did it turn out? 2) How do you define passion? and 3) What’s your big “Super Hero” dream – i.e. what does “next” look like? The first two questions were easy to answer (more at “On Saying Yes“ ) But #3 had me stumped and, in the absence of one “big” vision, I realized I wanted to say YES to things I really want to do. I had worked hard to say “no” without guilt – all to make room for Yes’s. Here’s an update on my plan: Yesterday, at a lake gathering, despite my fearful and fluttering gut, I said “yes” to getting in the middle of 3 on a Jet ski. I yelled so much and laughed so hard that I said “yes” again – only this time on the back. Bouncing along the lake like a flag we all laughed and hollered and screamed so much that I was absolutely breathless when we returned to shore. Others looked at me in astonishment – Hubbs with pride — my hair wrecked, my voice hoarse, but my face glowing with happiness.
What helped me say yes? 2 things: A) I know the gal driving has a “need for speed” but she also loves me and would never put me in danger. As we left the security of the dock, she turned back and said, “don’t worry I won’t go that fast,” and I answered with “Let ‘er rip” and she did. Whoo Hoo! I don’t remember the last time I had that much fun. The other? B) the snarky look of another who was convinced I’d never go … ha ha, watch me sister! Whoo Hoo!
2) It’s steaming up to be a hot August day — 80% humidity, temps in the 90s. I’m channeling my Grandma F. by cooking early while the sun is low. The house smells amazing as pork chops and chicken bake – – and when they’re done and the kitchen is clean I’m headed to the pool with peaches, lemonade and books. Hubbs is golfing and we’ll meet up later where he’ll surely bring up yesterday’s antics. The perfect Sunday!
3. After Friday, I’m so looking forward to Monday! 🙂
4. Yesterday at the lake I hadn’t planned on going in the water, much less riding a jet ski. So after the first run, my shorts and everything under them were drenched. My friend, 6″ taller than me, loaned me some swim shorts while my clothes went into the dryer. I pulled them on, twisted my tank top in a knot above my belly button, and rejoined the crowd. Hubbs smiled and I laughed. You see I dress pretty modestly and rarely does anyone else see me like that. But it was a beautiful summer day and I’m not getting any younger and just when is a dose of radical silliness appropriate anyways?
“Oh my God, what if you wake up and some day you never got your memoir or novel written; you didn’t go swimming in warm pools and oceans all those years because your thighs were jiggly and you had a nice big comfortable tummy; or you were just so strung out on perfectionism and people-pleasing that you forgot to have a big, juicy creative life, of imagination and radical silliness and staring off into space like you did when you were a kid? It’s going to break your heart. Don’t let this happen.” – Anne Lamott
5. Because of some family heart issues, I had a Cardiac Stress Test last week — and I kicked it to the curb. In thinking about it now, if they only knew how much this chick can handle they’d have cranked it up a little more!
P.S. I’m just so happy! See # 3