It’s Friday at last~ but I’m helping staff a charity event tomorrow so I am home today – working & doing some of the chores now that I’d normally do tomorrow – laundry, groceries, yes + emails, conference calls and projects.
My life/world/schedule has been a whirlwind lately, with me clocking well over thousand miles this month and today’s only the 20th. Whew!
So here are 5 randoms from my world recently:
- At the State Capitol recently, I “randomly” met an Elected official at the restaurant where my team and I were having dinner – someone with whom I had a scheduled meeting with that same week. That random meeting turned into a good conversation and our getting to know each other. I “ran into” her twice more before our meeting and, as a result, it was comfortable, she was relaxed, and introduced me to staff as her “friend.” Random happenings rarely are.
- In the Capitol meeting with various officials, I saw a Facebook post from a friend’s son, a single father, there on a field trip with his daughter. Now Hubbs used to babysit this boy when he was little, as his Dad (hubbs’ friend) was a Single Dad, too. I haven’t seen him or her in quite some time but as we hugged in the hallway, our smiles said it all! Random? Not so much.
- Driving to a meeting recently, I felt nerves overtaking my confidence. I knew I had nothing to be nervous about but the part giving me pause was the unknown – who would be there and how would they behave. (Didn’t want to encounter yet another rat!) 2 of my favorite Gospel songs came on my music player and played back to back – as it was set to Random Shuffle – and I felt any anxiety simply melt away. Parking my car and sitting quietly for a minute, I said a prayer of thanks for His grace and my strength, grabbed my purse and marched on in. 🙂
- Attending an event later in the week I spotted him before he did me – the work Rat was back. I listened as he chatted about himself, him and his other favorite topic, him, then found myself pulled into conversations with other guests. (Thank you!) I kept him in my periphery, hovering nearby like a gnat. He sat near me during lunch, offering updates on himself, his adventures, his purchases, him. With pride, I watched my team listen but not lean in, and soon we all found ourselves engaged with other guests. With no one to whine to or show off for, he slunk away. I’m pleased I didn’t allow recent rat sightings to torture me and that affirmed my stated intolerance for mangy mammals. Random growth, glad for it.
- Lastly, last weekend I attended my (soon-to-be) daughter-in-law’s bridal shower. I walked in, set my gifts down and a lovely lady smiled up at me. Something clicked and I knew – just knew -that we’d crossed paths before. I couldn’t place where or when until she spoke- with a lovely lilting English accent. And she seemed to know me, too. We put two and two together & realized we met last summer – in the MSP airport – as she & her husband were heading home to MI… from visiting her English family, and I was coming home from my niece’s wedding/visit with Mom in Canada. At the time we had a friendly conversation and agreed that (English) Cadbury’s and Rowntree make the best chocolate (She chuckled at my stash of Canadian candy bars for our boys and the grands). That lady in the airport? Grandmother of the bride, my soon to be daughter-in-law! The world just isn’t that small and there are no coincidences. I still have shivers just thinking about the serendipity of it all.
How about you? What random happening happened to you lately? Do you believe paths cross for a reason?