Happy Friday! I’ve been swamped at work, traveling, and double-booked socially. No time to write, and barely time to think. Here are 5 random thoughts on a mild winter’s day:
1) “Don’t look up, we’re trying to contain the bat.” Welcoming words as I entered a rural City office. Arriving at a meeting I was met by two gals with brooms and determined looks as they shooed a bat down from the room’s cavernous ceilings. Ahh – life in a small town! They looked at me with trepidation and when I assured them I’m a farm girl and that Mr. Bat was simply looking for a warm winter home, they laughed and camaraderie soon followed.
2) Sissy and I talked last night and during our conversation it dawned on me that Christmas is 3 weeks from today. Other than presents purchased, I have nothing ready for Christmas. No decorating. No wrapping. No cards. No baking. Nothing. The countdown is on, even if I don’t yet feel it.
waiting for this feeling to come over me.
3) On Sunday, I’m taking an auntie to see the “Trans Siberian Orchestra.” She’s so excited she can hardly stand it. I know I will be once I get there. My inner lizard is harping that I really should be wrapping, baking and decorating but I remember when we paid for the tickets a few months ago, I thought “you’ll need this by then.” I’m betting I was right.
4) Living in a Nursing Home, Mom doesn’t have room or desire for many “things” so I put together a packet of small treats – snacks, candies, nuts, hand lotion, wet wipes, Chap-stick, Word search books, Sudoku, a pen, and some spending money, etc. When I told her last night that a parcel was on its way, she giggled like a school girl.
5) We don’t have any snow – the weather has been unbelievably mild here in West MI and golf courses are opening again today. The roads are great for travel and people are moving about with ease. I think it’s the lack of the white stuff that’s contributed to my denial of the holiday’s proximity. Because when I was a kid, snow only meant one thing:
Christmas vacation! Whee!!
How about you? Encounter any odd scenes lately? Are you feeling the Christmas spirit yet? Any snow in your neck of the woods? Do you have an inner lizard snarping at you, too?