It’s Friday! (whoo hoo) It’s Random! Let’s go!
1. Tuesday I waited around all day for an appointment that got pushed back four times. By the time the two young men arrived to work on the pool, I had conceded the day. They were overbooked, stressed yet polite, apologizing over and over and I just didn’t have it in me to pile a layer of anger onto their day. Hanging around, being at home yet attentive to work, made me feel a bit like this turtle.
2. Later that night I attended our grandson’s baseball game. I’ve been sick and so this was the first game we were able to get to — chatting with some of the moms, I could sense they were trying to figure out who I belonged to. I pointed to the tall fellow in the bullpen and said, “Well that’s my boy.” I saw the confusion when they realized none of the wee ones on the team were mine but I was claiming the man. Then I explained that #2 at bat was our Grandson — ahh — funny — and a reminder that even though he’s grown, oldest one remains a boy in a Mother’s heart.
3. Weather. A cool front came through Monday and we’ve had the most luscious weather possible — mild, sunny, and low humidity. Days like these feel like a reward for the endurance test of this past winter.
4. The Belmont Stakes race is tomorrow and a group of us are planning to watch it together. Reading the Racing Form takes me back to my childhood, being at the track with my parents, and feeling the excitement and the grandeur of it all. Hoping California Chrome can pull a Triple Crown win — but even if he doesn’t — what a story!
5. In a world of e-invites and virtual everything, I really love getting a hand-written thank you card. First of all, it’s polite and second, it’s timeless. When someone acknowledges a gesture of mine, it makes me want to repeat the gesture all over again! And I always say a silent prayer of thanks to the Mom who taught the importance of doing so.
What’s your random 5 for today? Are you watching horse racing tomorrow?