It’s Friday and time for 5 random happenings and observations from my world.
1. My Lilacs have come and gone but look who is making their grand debut?
2. Last night we ran the dishwasher, a routine task done a few times a week. It’s normally filled with plates, silverware and coffee cups. Youngest boy put a large sauce pot in the lower tray upside down. Reading quietly in the next room I heard a sound I couldn’t quite identify and then it hit me: the spray of water hitting the bottom of that pot reminded me of milking cows as a little girl. With 5 kids we always kept one or two milk cows and Dad would let us “help.” More often than not we tilted Bossie’s *ahem* appendages in such a way that the barn cats got both a milk shower and a good drink and we probably spilled more than we didn’t. Dad let us learn anyways. Memories come to us in the most random of ways don’t they?
3. I recently bought a “Fitbit” – a nifty little bracelet that works as a pedometer and tracks your sleep. (You can track other things, too, but those are the ones I was interested in.) The first day I wore it was a Saturday and, between laundry, groceries, and yard work, I clocked 6 miles. I slept well that night – 7 hours with 8 minutes of restlessness. I really wanted it for my D.C. trip next week because we walk so much, up and down stairs in the Capitol office buildings. Did you know that tunnels connect these buildings? They’re clean and well-lit, but old as time. I always feel a bit like Desmond in “L.O.S.T” in there … freaky. Oh and elevators are reserved for Members when Congress is in session. That means I’ll be hoofing it to everything — in heels. And yes, I think I’ll sleep well every night :).
4. This week my job took me to the Michigan State Capitol – the day we were there happened to be “Older Michiganians Day” which meant we had a steady stream of older folks touring the building and sometimes stopping to ask us questions. Everything was fine until two ladies came through and brazenly swiped several handfuls of cookies. Right in front of us. With a look in their eyes that said, “whaddyagonnadoboutit?” We looked at each other incredulously and shook our heads. People are fascinating! And that day I clocked 7.8 miles – in heels!
5. Jumping back to the Fitbit I also got it because, when I’m in the office, I’m aware I don’t move much. It was shocking to me that, by noon yesterday, after a morning of conference calls, I hadn’t yet hit 2,000 steps. That served as a powerful motivator to get in a workout! On the treadmill last night, thinking about all I have to do before I fly out Sunday, this song came on and I knew it had to be shared:
Whatever it is you may be going through
I know He’s not gonna let it get the best of you
You’re an overcomer
Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
You’re not going under
‘Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment
Feeling like it’s hopeless
That’s when He reminds You
That you’re an overcomer… You’re an overcomer!
Happy Friday, folks! What sound take you back to your childhood? Tried any neat gadgets lately? Ever witnessed Senior crime? What are you working hard at overcoming?