How is today is September 3rd and Labor Day already?
It seems like 5 minutes ago we turned the calendar from April to May ~ and while we didn’t have a typical summer, we still enjoyed many high points — beach days, good books and BBQs. To that end here are my 5 Random 5s for Labor Day:
1 ) Good friends enjoyed shared birthdays this weekend so a celebration was organized, pot luck style. I don’t know about you but, around here, “bring a dish to pass” gatherings offer the b.e.s.t. food. Why’s that? Because everyone makes (or buys) their one “best” thing and, when you put everything together, it’s amazing. Examples of what was offered include the following:
- Deviled eggs, home-made pickles, olives and various cheeses & crackers
- 7 Layer Salad (mine), Oriental Coleslaw, Pasta & Potato salads – all home-made – yummo!
- Pastry-wrapped sausages, Sloppy Joe’s & baked beans (with bacon and enough brown sugar to carmelize an apple, yum!)
- Veggies & Dip, chips & dip and Fruit salad
- And birthday cake — not just any cake – but a local bakery’s marble cake with a creamy custardy middle and fluffy whipped icing — OMG.
- There was more, but the above is some of what I sampled and YES I enjoyed a small piece of cake — it was sweet and creamy and a little bit went a long ways 🙂
2 ) I’ve been reading a book that I can’t stop thinking about. Normally when I land upon a good book I’ll tear through it like a starving wolf. Not this one. I’m savoring my way through. See, I’ve always known stuff I shouldn’t know, and I’ve had a feeling (good or bad) about a person, more than once. I trust it. I just didn’t know how to use it or how to protect myself from absorbing other’s “stuff.”
A sample includes:
- Being an empath is different from being empathetic.
- Being empathetic is when your heart goes out to someone else. Most of us do this – especially after a tragedy.
- Being an empath means you can actually feel another person’s happiness or sadness in your own body. You can feel it so deeply that it can make you physically sick, sad or drained.
- You may have been told to “not be so sensitive,” maybe you are, like me, sensitive to caffeine, startle easily, get overwhelmed in crowds, have a strong sense of smell and touch (sour odors and prickly clothes, no way).
- These can all be indicators — so tell me — Are you an Empath?
3 ) I just realized that my Amazon cart always has something in it. I love the “save for later” feature. Because my internet wanderings can take me into some deep valleys, it’s nice to know I can save an item for a more rational purchase point later. Between books, vitamins, and skincare/beauty products, I enjoy new-to-me finds and repeat favorites. For someone who doesn’t enjoy shopping, I sure enjoy Amazon 🙂
4 ) Speaking of books — I did a lot of not laboring this weekend ~ I putzed, cleaned, cooked a little, read a lot, fiddled with the hot tub & read some more. Yep, definitely did. Not. Labor.
5 ) And with that, here’s September! Bring on bright sunshiney days, College Football, autumn leaves, cooler nights and less humidity. Because even though it’s Labor Day, the reality is it’s still warm, humid and summery … and that’s OK. Put down the pumpkin spice and turn on the fan!
- What signs of Autumn are near you?
- Could you be an Empath, too?
- Are you laboring to NOT Labor this Holiday weekend?