Inspired by my blogging friend Leah’s post – I am taking on her challenge to think – and write about – what’s saving my life right now.
- Background – Leah is a fabulous writer, author and Mom who moved with her family from Sunny San Diego to a less-than-sunny wintry Indiana (I can so relate to the absence of sunshine!) – She cites writer Barbara Brown Taylor who, in her memoir Leaving Church, tells about a time she was invited to speak, and her host assigned her this topic: “Tell us what is saving your life right now.” The idea behind this is that most can articulate what may be bothering us but few of us stop to note what’s giving us life.
Bam! So thought-provoking!
Here are the things saving my life right now ~ in no particular order:
- Exercise: After work I make time for A) the treadmill or B) Yoga. Either helps me unwind and forget my schedule and responsibilities. My mind drifts off and creativity sneaks in. ~ Ahh.
- Minimizing Electronics: The company cell phone gets shut down at 7pm and lately, the best thing on T.V. has been the off button.
- Books – by taking step #2 I create space to devour deliciously good reads & have created something to look forward to on a regular basis. Joyful!
- Rest: In winter I go to bed earlier, it’s a necessary step to create the energy for slogging through the greyest of days.
- Up: Because of #4 I get up earlier, can sip coffee longer, and have an hour of “soul time” to myself every morning.
- Supplements: Vitamin D in copious amounts – 5,000iu per day. Start slow and work your way up but this is a GAME changer especially if you live where winter happens without measurable sunshine.
- Color and lots of it. Again – it’s so grey here right now – you’ll find me in sweaters, scarves and dresses of purple, teal, ocean blue or green.
- Flowers – they’re not just for Valentines and anniversaries. For $7.99 I can add a pop of color to my office – and flowers are nature’s happy little reminder that Spring will soon come again.
- Music. My job requires a lot of car travel back & forth to meetings – sometimes 5 -6 hours in one trip – I turn off the rants and the politics, add in some Gospel, Motown and Classic Rock and sing my way to my meetings. Winning!
- Connections – phone conversations with my sister or cousin, time out to dinner or staying home with Hubbs, messaging with our boys, breakfasts with Grandpa & the Aunts/Uncles. Chatting with someone at the grocery store. Connections – without steps 1-9 – I wouldn’t be as motivated to create and sustain connections~!
What’s saving your life right now?