We have grand-dog Sullivan (“Sully”) with us for a week. Actually I should say I do. I’m clearly his favorite, which annoys my tender-hearted dog-loving Hubbs. He doesn’t mean to but his large frame and big voice scare Sully. Meanwhile if I stop short he literally runs into my butt.
When you haven’t had a dog you in a while you tend to forget what it’s like. Here are some “life lessons” I’ve enjoyed revisiting brought to you from the 3 year old wonder dog:
- Live in the moment – he has a harness thing that took me 15 tries to figure out – but I got it and we were off! His tail wagged the whole time I tried. 🙂
- Appreciate everything: Walks are great & even better with a buddy. 90% of the time he goes full speed ahead. Unless he stops to sniff something. Another good reminder to pause, give thanks, and take in the day.
- Mix things up – take an alternate route once in a while. He enjoyed the detour and I enjoyed the shade!
- Get outside as often as possible. This was early evening, after storms had rolled through. So. Many. Sniffs!
- Play every day. And then do it again as soon as possible.
- Never underestimate the restorative powers of sleep. Photo after 2 walks, 8 games of “keep-a-way,” a million in & outs and 15+ yard sniffs.
We’ve enjoyed having him, we always do. I enjoy waking to a small furry face in mine; I laugh when he nudges me with a squeaky toy. I do what is asked, step away from the laptop and run around the yard a few times.
I’m off work the rest of the week but haven’t told Sully yet ~ I’ll just play with him and let it be his idea. 🙂
Life lessons worth repeating.
Categories: Animals, Attitude, Family, Fun, Growth, Joy, Life, Opinion, Uncategorized
Tags: compare, daily walk, dog, exercise, happy, happy things, life lessons from the dog, simple pleasure, sniffs, Sullivan, Sully, walks, what makes you happy
We’re nearing the end of our July vacation ~ and it always amazes me how quickly vacation flies by!
Ahh the lazy days of summer. It’s hot, sticky and sunny. Even with my 70SPF I have a warm tan with tan lines where my flip flops go and tank tops end. As when I look back at all we’ve accomplished and had going these past 2 weeks it’s no wonder we’re both moving a little slow this weekend.
- I arrived home on a Friday after attending a 3 day corporate conference
- Had new window treatments installed (involved moving furniture/etc out of the way and back again)
- Played in a couples golf scramble
- all in the same day 😀
- what was I thinking?
- Say yes and you’ll figure it out later
- Picked my sister up from the plane and, for a week, stayed up late and got up early, still talking
- Visited the big lake (Lake Michigan) 2 x + Won and lost money at the Casino
- Cried watching “Toy Story 4” and “The Mustang”
- laughed at all the same places in “Bridesmaids”
- Reveled in the ability to sit across the table from each other, laughing until we choked while finishing each others sentences
- Skipped breakfast & enjoyed watermelon and cherries for lunch
- Savored pots of coffee & tea out on the patio with sister, Sully and Hubbs … plus a cold beer or two, too
Mornings with Sully, an Emjayandthem (C) Photo
- Up and outside early and to bed when tired with no alarm clocks – WHEE!
- Celebrated the 4th with amazing fireworks, dancing fireflies and neighbors
- Decorated the hall for the kid’s wedding and hosted the rehearsal dinner, ordered the limo, catering, bar, DJ and more plus managed the details!
- Helped him get ready on his big day
- Cried with Hubbs and my sister at ^^ above
- Smiled at his smile when he saw her
- Cried again
- Witnessed their vows, celebrated by dancing with our boys, my sister, hubbs and friends.
- Polka’d till I lost my breath and then went out and did it again 🙂
- Cleaned up the hall and tumbled into bed
- Got up early & hosted a gift opening
- Languished in the hot tub
- Cared for, slept with and supervised grand-dog Sully ~ who is adorable and hilarious but a bit like having a 70lb toddler
Today I cooked up brunch, did some catalogue perusing and online shopping but still haven’t started on my books, there’s been no time. …. but I think I’ll take a page out of Sully’s book and go enjoy a nap in the a/c.
Sully nap, an Emjayandthem (C) photo
What are you up to today? Take any naps lately?
Categories: Animals, Attitude, Faith, Family, Home, Life, Life Lessons, Love, Opinion, Patriotic, Personal, Thoughts, Writing
Tags: 4th of July, animals, dog lessons, dogs, fireflies, fireworks, Independence Day, lazy days of summer, movies, naps, no schedule, pets, relationships, seasons, simple pleasures, Sully, summer holidays, summer vacation, Summertime, The Mustang, Toy Story 4, travel, watermelon, wedding